LIG News Roundup: Designing a New Capitalism
Join us for a review of some of the most noteworthy news and developments around basic income. We’ll be discussing diverse, emerging solutions driven by a common aim of creating a system that addresses immediate needs as well as systemic inequality. Watch the live discussion with Jeanne Kenney and share your questions, comments or any other news that you see is worthy of sharing too!
Hosted by Marlen Vargas Del Razo
Money-Back Guarantee?: The idea of a minimum income is complex, but intriguing
- Trudeau’s Plan for the Middle Class Will Reduce Inequality in Canada
- Mayor says minimum income worthy of further discussion
- Poor access to food means poor health: researcher
- How Canada tried to eradicate poverty with guaranteed income
- Time to consider a guaranteed minimum income: Keenan
- Lammam and MacIntyre: A guaranteed annual income is a long shot
- Basic income guarantee – an economic idea whose time has in-come?
- Andrew Coyne: Guarantee a minimum income, not a minimum wage
- Guaranteed income film will study 1 P.E.I. family
- Politics, not economics, the main hurdle to addressing income inequality: expert
- Cyprus: Guaranteed minimum income
- Expanding eligibility for guaranteed minimum income
- Why Greece needs a basic income
- Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis raised an interesting concept — a Guaranteed Basic Income.
In Finland, 65.5% of 1,642 (out of nearly 2,000) candidates for the parliamentary elections on 19 April publicly support the policy.
Ninety per cent of the members of Hungary’s Green-Left party Párbeszéd Magyarországért (“Dialogue for Hungary”) have voted for a Basic Income to which all citizens would be entitled, €80 per month for children, €160 for adults and €240 for young mothers. The poverty line in Hungary is estimated at around €200 for a single adult.
Basic Income is relatively unknown and misunderstood, the political party LIVRE has included Basic Income in its draft political programme for the autumn elections this year.
- SPAIN: Podemos working group seeks 37,000 signatures to reinstate basic income as a manifesto commitment
- SPAIN: Popular Initiative for Basic Income Ends with 185,000 Signatures
What Will Happen When This City Gives Residents Income With No Strings Attached?
Government ‘strongly considering’ Basic Income
MAY: Opinion Poll Shows 60% Support for Basic Income
What’s Good About Guaranteed Basic Income
Cherokee, North Carolina experiment
The Case For A Basic Income Guarantee
Keiser Report: The Precariat – The Dangerous New Class (E791)
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Interview on Basic Income with Scott Santens
Unconditional Basic Income: Obstacles and Strategies
After Robots Take Our Jobs, This Is What the Economy Will Look Like
A Basic Income Women Action Group Statement
Is it Time?
Minimum Wage or Living Income?
From Basic Income To Social Dividends: Sharing The Value Of Common Resources
A Universal Basic Income Is The Bipartisan Solution To Poverty We’ve Been Waiting For
A study last year from Carl Frey and Michael Osborne at Oxford University found that 47% of jobs are at risk of computerization over the next two decades.
Artists hail the late Inger Sitter